Culvert Replacement Municipal Assistance Grant Program Announcement
The Division of Ecological Restoration (DER), Massachusetts Department of Fish and Game, is seeking proposals from Massachusetts municipalities interested in replacing an undersized, perched, and/or degraded culvert located in an area of high ecological value. A total of $1,050,000 is available through the Culvert Replacement Municipal Assistance Grant Program for selected municipalities to advance one culvert replacement project toward completion. The purpose of this funding is to encourage municipalities to replace culverts with better designed crossings that meet improved design standards and storm resiliency criteria. Only projects that intend to meet the goals of the Massachusetts Stream Crossing Standards will be considered for funding. Incorporating these Standards into culvert design will improve river function and access for fish and wildlife, and will reduce hazards to public safety, such as flooding, culvert failure, and road washout. Massachusetts municipalities are eligible to apply. Interested communities should view the full announcement, including eligibility and evaluation criteria here:
The PRE-Request For Responses (RFR) period, June 8, 2017 to June 23, 2017, provides a preview of the RFR that DER will issue June 23, 2017. Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact Tim Chorey to discuss possible projects during this period (Tim Chorey; 617-626-1541; Timothy.Chorey@state.ma.us).
The RFR will be released at 3PM on June 23, 2017. The application deadline is 5PM, July 11, 2017.
Applicants should also check the Division of Ecological Restoration’s website (www.mass.gov/DER) for the most up to date information regarding grant briefings. During grant briefings, Tim Chorey will explain the Culvert Replacement Municipal Assistance Grant Program, answer questions, and be available to meet one on one with municipalities to discuss proposed projects. Currently scheduled grant briefing dates, times, and locations are listed below.
- June 15, 8:30am-10:30am, DOT District 1 Office at 270 Main Street, Lenox
- June 15, 12:30pm-2:20pm, Franklin Regional Council of Governments at 12 Olive Street, Suite 2, Greenfield
- June 16, 8:00am-10:00am, Cape Cod Commission at 3225 Main Street, Barnstable
- June 19, 8:30am-10:30am, Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission at Union Station, 2nd Floor, 2 Washington St, Worcester
- June 19, 12:30pm-2:30PM, Westford Town Hall at 2nd Floor, 55 Main St, Westford
- June 21, 9:00am-11:00am, Southeast Regional Planning and Economic Development District at 88 Broadway, Taunton